02 December 2010
Idioms
In every place I have lived there are idioms and phrases that at first seem illogical, arbitrary and strange. I feel in the first weeks I constantly require translation. And in every place I have lived these phrases permeate my own speech and I forget that they once seemed strange... Already some have found their way into my day to day, so I thought I would document a couple favorites before they are lost in my assimilation... I may have to add more as I think of them... And i will post a picture or two soon!
I must ease myself - I have to use the restroom
How fa? - Pidgin for What's up? Response - Today good-o.
Well done - Hi there
Welcome - Anytime someone is coming or going from a room
I'm coming - Usually said as someone is walking away. It's even used within a conversation if a person speaking is interjected they might say "I'm coming" to signify that their point will be revealed soon.
Sharp-sharp - Real quick
Pick - pick up a phone call, pick up a person, pick up an item at the market "I am going to pick Mary." Or "I need to pick some yams."
Drop - a ride, lift, or taxi. "I need a drop."
Somehow - a common response to how are you- "I am fine, somehow."
Thank God - a common response to How are you? or How was your night?
Inshallah - God willing, a common response to How was your night or in discussing plans
Mail - Email
Na So - That's it
Na So E Be - That's the way it is
so so so - "blah blah blah" or as a replacement for numbers 'for example, we have so so so many OVC in Benue and so so many in Plateau...'
Small Small - something tiny, or to chart progress similar to slowly, slowly or pole pole
10-10 Naira- a repeating of the number emphasizes it's small size (10 Naira = .07 cents)
sorry-o - most words can be said with an "O" on the end...(see response to How Fa? above)
Ok, ok - agreement or compliance
Oga - boss, master. Often heard in the marketplace or by the working class to address their supervisors. It's also used in jest between friends.
Go-slow - traffic
Chop - food
No Wahala - no problem ... hakuna matata
Owiebo- foreigner (most commonly "white person")
Auntie/Uncle - an affectionate or cordial way to address a woman or man
Ah Ah! - (usually accompanied by a click of the tongue) used often as disapproval or surprise
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment